When it comes to losing weight, a general rule of thumb is to consume 500 fewer calories than needed to maintain your present weight. Doing this every day can help you lose about 1 pound per week.
However, the amount of calories you should be eating a day for weight loss depends on factors such as your current weight, age, height, level of activity, and metabolic health.
What are average calorie ranges for women?
- Moderately active: To maintain weight, a moderately active woman between ages 26-50 needs roughly 2,000 calories per day. To shed 1 pound a week, she needs to reduce her calorie intake to 1,500 calories per day.
- Active: Women who are physically active and walk more than 3 miles daily need to consume at least 2,200 calories per day to maintain weight and at least 1,700 calories to shed 1 pound a week.
- Early 20s: Women in their early 20s require more calories. To maintain weight, they need roughly 2,200 calories each day.
- Over 50: Women over 50 require fewer calories. A moderately active woman over 50 years needs 1,800 calories per day to maintain weight and 1,600 calories per day to shed 1 pound a week.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding: Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding have higher calorie requirements, so these ranges do not apply to them.
What are average calorie ranges for men?
- Moderately active: To maintain weight, a moderately active man between ages 46-45 years needs roughly 2,600 calories per day. To shed 1 pound a week, he needs to reduce his calorie intake to 2,100 calories per day.
- Active: Men who are physically active and walk more than 3 miles daily need 2,800-3,000 calories per day to maintain weight and 2,300-2,500 calories per day to shed 1 pound a week.
- Ages 19-25: Young men between ages 19-25 require more calories. To maintain weight, they need an average of 2,800 calories per day and up to 3,000 if they are active. Moderately active young men should consume 2,300-2,500 calories per day to lose 1 pound every week.
- Ages 46-65: As men get older, their energy requirements decrease. Moderately active men between ages 46-65 require an average of 2,400 calories per day. After age 66, their calorie needs may be reduced to about 2,200 calories per day.
How to lose weight safely
While many people want to lose weight quickly, following an overly strict diet plan and exercise routine may not be sustainable. Setting realistic goals to achieve safe and healthy weight loss is critical. That means losing weight gradually and steadily (about 1-2 pounds per week).
Healthy weight loss is more than just a temporary program. Long-term changes in daily eating and activity habits are required for weight loss benefits to last.
Before starting a new diet plan, talk to a licensed nutritionist to make sure it’s safe for you, especially if you have underlying medical conditions.
18 ways to reduce calorie intake
- Start the day by drinking water. Your body is typically dehydrated upon waking up, and it can misinterpret thirst for hunger. Drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning, as well as before meals, can prevent you from eating too much.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and calories consumed during breakfast get burned easily compared to other meals.
- Eat more fiber. A high-fiber diet that includes a variety of fruits and vegetables promotes digestion and helps you feel fuller for longer.
- Eat whole grains. Whole grains are more nutritious than their processed or refined grains and also help you feel full for longer.
- Eat more protein and fewer carbs. Protein helps boost metabolism more than carbs or fat and can lead to more calorie burn.
- Add good fats to your diet. Healthy fats get burned and do not get stored in the body. Good fats include salmon, avocados, and coconut oil.
- Take a power nap. Taking a short 15-minute nap can help you feel energized and reduce hunger pangs.
- Choose healthy snacks. Snacking throughout the day can help you avoid overeating during meals. Go for nutritious snacks that are low in calories, such as nuts or veggies and hummus.
- Reduce salt intake. Eating too much salt can cause water retention, resulting in bloating and weight gain.
- Reduce sugar intake. Avoid sodas and commercial fruit juices that contain more sugar than fruit. Added sugar can lead to weight gain and other health issues.
- Replace sugar with honey. Honey can be used as a natural sweetener in juices, teas, and desserts and is less fattening than white sugar.
- Cook at home. Preparing meals at home and reducing eating out can help you consume smaller portions and make sure you’re using healthy ingredients.
- Steam or grill instead of frying. Use healthy oils for cooking, and try steaming or grilling instead of deep frying, as this can help you avoid eating too much oil.
- Drink coffee. Studies have shown that caffeine can decrease appetite as well as boost energy and overall mood. Avoid adding more calories to your coffee with high-fat milk or sugar.
- Add lemon to your water. This may help reduce fat absorption and cholesterol and improve digestion.
- Use apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is believed to reduce fat and boost metabolism.
- Drink herbal teas. Drinking green tea helps boost metabolism and aids in digestion.
- Reduce alcohol intake. This reduces calorie intake and fluid retention in the body.
Latest Diet & Weight Management News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Harvard Health Publishing. Diet & Weight Loss. https://www.health.harvard.edu/topics/diet-and-weight-loss
National Institute of Health. Guide to Behavior Change. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/behavior.htm
U.S. Department of Agriculture. MyPlate. https://www.choosemyplate.gov
Top How Many Calories to Eat a Day to Lose Weight Related Articles
Super SnacksThe tastiest 100-calorie snacks offer quick, satisfying solutions to hunger. From edamame to ice cream, our experts help you with portion control and choosing snacks that are healthy and easy.
30 Ways to Lose Weight NaturallyOne can lose weight naturally and safely, but it is important to adhere to a strict diet plan, exercise regime, and lifestyle modifications. It’s normal for anyone trying to lose weight to want to lose weight very quickly, which is often an unrealistic goal. It is important to set realistic goals and achieve healthy weight loss. Healthy weight loss is losing weight gradually and steadily (around one to two pounds per week).
What Is the Best Thing to Eat for Breakfast to Lose Weight?To lose weight, eat fewer calories than you burn throughout the day. The best things to eat for breakfast include oatmeal, eggs, lean bacon or turkey, whole-grain toast, peanut butter, smoothies, and yogurt with muesli.
How Many Calories Should I Eat for My Height and Weight?Estimates for the average calorie requirement of a person are based on the estimated energy requirements or EER equations. These equations use reference heights (average) and reference weights (healthy) for each age-sex group. They do not provide the estimates for special situations, such as pregnancy and lactation or other health conditions.
Diet Mistakes SlideshowDiscover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the pounds disappear.
Best Diet Tips SlideshowLearn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding portion sizes. Learn how to set reasonable diet standards.
Cut Daily CaloriesWhen you want to lose weight, you’ll probably need to find a way to eat fewer calories. Try these tips to trim them from your diet without feeling hungry all the time.
How Can I Burn 500 Calories in an Hour?Losing excess weight is challenging. Several activities can help you burn 500 calories or more in an hour including dancing, outdoor work, swimming, sports, bike riding, going to the gym, high-intensity interval training and working out using a punching bag.
How Do You Get a Loved One to Lose Weight?Weight loss is often a hush-hush topic, but when your loved one loses their confidence or becomes unhealthy, you need to step in. Talk to your loved one in a non-judgmental and respectful way.
How Many Calories Should I Eat to Lose 5 Pounds in a Week?The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend aiming to reduce only 1-2 pounds of weight per week for an effective and safe weight loss. Losing more than that is not advised because it may cause more harm than good.