In some, liver cancer may cause pain, particularly in the upper right area of the abdomen. Often people with liver cancer may experience pain accompanied by swelling or the formation of hard lumps felt in the right side of the abdomen. People may also feel discomfort in the back, below the right shoulder blade.
What is liver cancer?
- Primary liver cancer: This cancer originates in the liver. Primary liver cancer is of different types
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (the most common form of liver cancer)
- Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (bile duct cancer)
- Angiosarcoma and hemangiosarcoma (cancer that begins in the cell lining of the blood vessels in the liver)
- Hepatoblastoma (cancer containing immature cells, generally occurring in infants and young children)
- Secondary liver cancer (metastatic liver cancer): Cancer originating in other parts and migrating to the liver.
- Benign liver tumors: Noncancerous tumors may grow large enough to cause problems, but they do not invade nearby tissues.
What are the sources of pain in liver cancer?
People with liver cancer or advanced stage liver cancer may experience pain from various sources, including
- Tumors: Tumor or tumors in the liver can cause excess pain.
- Capsule stretching: Stretching of the capsule around the liver can cause discomfort.
- Referred pain: Referred pain is caused by the enlarged liver pressing on the nerves under the diaphragm. It may give rise to pain in the right shoulder because some of the nerves under the diaphragm connect to nerves there.
- Treatment: Cancer medications and treatment may cause pain and discomfort. Also, surgery can cause postoperative pain.
- Underlying medical conditions: If cirrhosis is the cause of liver cancer, pain may be attributed to cirrhosis and not to cancer.
How does liver cancer pain feel like?
Pain may vary from person to person. Some forms of liver cancer pain include
- Dull, throbbing sensation in the upper right abdomen
- Stabbing sensation that takes the breath away
- Pain radiating to back or in the right shoulder blade
How is liver cancer pain managed?
- Over the counter and prescription: For mild pain, fever and swelling, the physician may prescribe acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen.
- Weak opioid: Codeine is a weak opioid prescribed for cancer pain.
- Strong opioid: Fentanyl, methadone and morphine are the potent opioids used to relieve cancer pain.
- Antidepressants, anti-seizure drugs and steroids are also useful in treating cancer pain.
Moreover, additional therapy might help treat pain, which includes
- Nerve block: Sometimes, a nerve block or local anesthetic relieves or reduces pain. The physician injects local anesthesia into or near nerves in the abdomen.
- Radiation: It can reduce the tumor size, thus relieving some or all of the pain.
Alternative treatment may also be used along with medical management to treat cancer pain, which includes
Latest Health and Living News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Mayo Clinic. Cancer Pain: Relief Is Possible. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/in-depth/cancer-pain/art-20045118
Top Does Cancer in the Liver Cause Pain? Related Articles
Ayvakit (avapritinib)Ayvakit is a prescription medicine used to treat adults with a certain type of stomach, bowel, or esophagus cancer called gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST). Serious side effects of Ayvakit include bleeding in your brain and cognitive effects (forgetfulness, confusion, getting lost, and more).
Can a Weak Immune System Cause Cancer?Your immune system plays a vital role in maintaining your health. Although some cancers are caused by genetic mutations, some other factors like old age and a weakened immune system can also play a significant role in causing the disease.
Doptelet (avatrombopag)Doptelet is a prescription medicine used to treat low blood platelet counts in adults with long-lasting (chronic) liver disease (CLD) or chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP). Serious side effects of Doptelet include blood clots.
Nonalcoholic and Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseYou can treat fatty liver disease with diet and exercise. Learn the signs and symptoms of fatty liver disease, whether it is alcoholic or nonalcoholic in origin. Find out what causes fatty liver disease, along with remedies and prevention tips.
Givlaari (givosiran)Givlaari (givosiran) is a prescription medication used to treat adults with acute hepatic porphyria (AHP). Serious side effects of Givlaari include anaphylactic reaction, hepatic toxicity, renal toxicity, and injection site reactions.
14 Best and Worst Foods for Your LiverGet some simple diet tips to keep your liver healthy, including the best veggies to keep disease away and some snacks you'll want to avoid.
How Do I Make My Liver Healthy Again?Your doctor may suggest lifestyle changes to improve your liver function such as, weight loss, healthy diet, lowering cholesterol, alcohol reduction, exercising regularly, and diabetes management.
OxyContin (oxycodone)OxyContin is a prescription opioid pain medication used to manage pain severe enough to require daily, around-the-clock, long-term treatment. Serious side effects of OxyContin include noisy breathing, shallow breathing, breathing that stops during sleep (sleep apnea), slow heart rate or weak pulse, lightheadedness, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior, seizure, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, dizziness, and worsening tiredness or weakness.