Dry and frizzy hair is the most common problem faced by women across the world. Harsh winters and chemical products for hair and heat styling can be the culprits in damaging the hair. To check for the moisture content of the hair, take a dry strand of hair and gently pull both ends to stretch it. If it breaks easily, there's a lack of moisture in the hair. With proper hair care and nutrition, you can treat dry and damaged hair at home. Here are a few home remedies to treat dry damaged hair:
- Moisturizing hair with oils: For extremely dry hair, jojoba or coconut oil would be an ideal option. Apply a few drops of oil onto damp hair and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash out the oil with a shampoo and conditioner. Avoid blow-drying to dry out the hair.
- Honey and olive oil hair mask: Prepare a hair mask by mixing equal parts of honey and olive oil. Apply this mask evenly through the hair and wrap it in a plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Wash it out with a shampoo and conditioner. Try this mask at least once a month or every week if possible.
- Tea rinse: Tea acts as a hair color enhancer and adds luster to the hair. Use unsweetened black tea as a hair rinse after regular shampooing of the hair. Brunettes should use black tea, whereas blondes are recommended to use chamomile tea.
- Use an avocado mask: Avocadoes are rich in minerals, vitamins, and essential fatty acids. Mix a ripe mashed avocado with egg to make a smooth paste. Apply this mask on wet hair and leave for 20 minutes. For extremely dry or brittle hair, use this mask every week, whereas for normal hair, use this pack once a month to enhance or maintain the luster and strength of the hair.
- Egg white and apple cider vinegar (ACV) mask: Mix three egg whites, two tablespoons of olive oil, and one tablespoon of ACV to make a liquid mixture. Apply this mixture evenly through the hair and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it out with a shampoo and conditioner. This mask brings life to damaged or limp hair.
- Yogurt and oil mask: Yogurt mixed with oil would be an ideal option for dry hair. Combine half-a-cup of yogurt with two tablespoons of olive oil and six drops of essential oil and mix it thoroughly. Apply this mask on shampooed hair and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse the hair with warm water.
- Banana mask: Bananas have high moisture content and are rich in potassium, which makes them optimal for dry hair treatment. Mash one banana and apply them evenly through the hair from roots to ends. Leave it for an hour and rinse with lukewarm water. Banana mask is ideal to prevent split-ends, soften the hair, and improve its elasticity.
- Diet rich in healthy fats, proteins, and calcium: Staying hydrated and consuming the following foods will aid flawless hair:
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Nuts such as almonds
- Lean red meat
- Cottage cheese
What are the preventive measures to protect hair from damage?
Some of the preventive measures to protect against hair damage include:
- Choose shampoos that have natural oils such as olive or argan oil, or glycerin, sorbitol, or shea butter rather than shampoos with mineral oil or petrolatum.
- Protect your hair with a hat or scarf when you step out into extreme weather.
- Trim dead ends of the hair every six to eight weeks from a stylist.
- Remove tangles before hitting the bed.
- Avoid daily shampooing of hair because it may rip off the moisture content of hair.
- Have a balanced diet.
- Comb your hair gently.
- Go easy on the towel to prevent hair breaking.
- Limit heat styling to once a week.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
WebMD. Slideshow: Natural Help for Dry or Damaged Hair. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/ss/slideshow-dry-hair
Mobin A. 8 Effective Home Remedies For Dry And Damaged Hair. https://www.lifehack.org/504815/8-effective-home-remedies-for-dry-and-damaged-hair
Top How Do You Treat Dry Damaged Hair at Home? Related Articles
Are Widow’s Peaks Attractive?Widow’s peak refers to the V-shaped arrangement of your hairline in the center of your forehead. Widow's peaks can look really attractive.
Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work?Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Care SlideshowLooking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored, overprocessed, dandruff-prone, and much more.
Hair Loss: Alopecia, Thinning Hair in Men and WomenLearn about hair loss (alopecia) in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments like shampoos and drugs, as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
Hair Transplant PictureSurgical approaches include various versions of hair transplantation (taking hair from the back and putting it near the front) or scalp reduction (cutting away bald areas and stitching the rest together). See a picture of Hair Transplant and learn more about the health topic.
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
How Do You Get Rid of Flyaway Hair?Flyaway hair or frizzy hair is a common hair problem. You can use lip balm, hand lotion, static guard spray and olive oil to tame frizzy hair. You can also use jojoba oil, coconut oil, tea, avocados, egg whites, apple cider vinegar, bananas and yogurt to prevent and treat frizzy hair.
How Do You Treat Extremely Dry Hair?Dull, frizzy and unmanageable hair haunts most of our hair care dreams. When hair is stripped of its moisture and becomes dry, it’s also more vulnerable to tangling, breakage and hair loss. You can apply oil, conditioner and hair serum to treat dry hair. Ditching heat styling helps dry hair. So does eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated.
Ingrown HairIngrown hairs may be caused by improper shaving, waxing, or blockage of the hair follicle. Symptoms and signs of ingrown hairs include itching, tenderness, and small red pus bumps. Ingrown hairs usually heal on their own, but topical antibiotics, chemical depilatories, and hair-removal laser may be used in the treatment of ingrown hairs.
Is Auburn Hair Natural?Red hair varies from deep burgundy to bright copper, auburn, reddish-orange, burnt orange and strawberry blond. Auburn or red hair can be natural.
Is It Safe to Bleach Already Bleached Hair?Oxidized melanin loses its color, making the hair look lighter. Bleaching significantly damages your hair. Whether you should rebleach your bleached hair depends on the health of your hair before and after bleaching.
Foods for Healthy HairTop foods for healthy hair include salmon, green vegetables, beans, nuts, poultry, eggs, whole grains, oysters, low-fat dairy products, and carrots. Foods for healthy hair supply protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals.
What Are the Four Types of Hair?Hair type and texture are determined by several factors including genetics. There are four main types of hair texture: Type 1 - straight, Type 2 - wavy, Type 3 - curly and Type 4 - tightly curled.
What Is a Clarifying Shampoo?A clarifying shampoo is a shampoo that helps get rid of buildup in your hair. The buildup may be due to the residue left by your daily shampoos, chlorinated water during swimming, coloring treatments, oils, dust and other chemical treatments on your hair.