Do hair growth vitamins work?
Vitamins or herbal supplements for hair growth are often used to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. Hair loss and damage can occur due to genetics, hormones (pregnancy), medications (cancer medication) and other medical illnesses (stress, thyroid disease or autoimmune diseases). If there is hair loss or hair damage associated with a serious nutritional deficiency of certain vitamins or minerals, hair growth supplements can help with hair growth or regrowth. The vitamins in hair growth supplements also help maintain overall body health. Alongside hair vitamins, a healthy and balanced diet is also required. If damaged hair is caused due to other conditions, hair growth supplements would not be sufficient to treat the problem. So, it is always important to consult with a doctor when one is experiencing significant hair loss.
What are hair growth vitamins?
Some important supplements or vitamins that help hair growth are
- Vitamin E nourishes the skin, nails and hair and protects the skin and hair from sun damage. Rich sources of vitamin E include plant-based oils, seeds, nuts, fruits and vegetables.
- Zinc can regulate the level of DHT (dihydrotestosterone) in the body, a hormone that can cause hair loss. A decrease in zinc levels causes an increase in DHT, which can cause hair loss. Sesame seeds, nuts, eggs and fish are rich in zinc.
- Iron is essential for hair growth. Low iron levels lead to anemia. Low iron levels affect the hair follicles and disrupt the growth cycle of the hair, leading to hair loss. Rich sources of iron include lentils, red meat, spinach or green vegetables.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that aids in the formation of collagen. Vitamin C also helps with iron absorption. Rich sources of vitamin C include kiwis, sweet potato and citrus fruits like oranges.
- Vitamin D is important for healthy hair follicle production, which promotes hair growth. Vitamin D also helps relieve stress and depression. It is found in eggs, oily fish and mushrooms.
- Vitamin A helps form sebum, which is required to keep the scalp and skin conditioned and healthy. A decrease in sebum due to Vitamin A deficiency causes the scalp to become dry, irritated, itchy and flaky. It also causes the hair to become dry, brittle and break easily. However, it must be remembered that higher than normal vitamin A consumption can also cause hair loss. Vitamin A is found in orange or yellow vegetables like carrots.
- Amino acids are essential for healthy hair growth. Amino acids help produce keratin, which promotes hair growth and nourishes and improves hair texture. Amino acids are protein building blocks found in foods like dairy, meat and eggs.
- Omega-3 fatty acids produce oils that keep the skin, nails and scalp healthy and hydrated. Fish, avocado and pumpkin seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin, which is also called vitamin H or coenzyme R. Biotin increases nail and hair strength and texture.
How long do hair supplements take to work?
Taking hair growth supplements does not produce results overnight. It usually takes a very long time to see obvious hair growth. Normally, hair grows only half an inch a month, so even after taking supplements it would take 5 to 6 years for a new strand of hair to reach shoulder length.
However, there are several other changes in the hair that can be seen. After a few months of taking supplements, the oil glands on the scalp get reactivated, which moisturizes and nourishes the scalp and hair. The hair starts to appear shinier, more moisturized and healthier. The hair may not be as brittle as it used to be, reducing hair breakage.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Do Hair Growth Vitamins Work Related Articles
Effective Ways to Stop Hair Loss in MenHair loss is one of the common problems in men. There could be many causes of hair loss that include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution, and genetics.
Are Widow’s Peaks Attractive?Widow’s peak refers to the V-shaped arrangement of your hairline in the center of your forehead. Widow's peaks can look really attractive.
Your Hair & Your HealthIs your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the scalp, folliculitis, scalp pimples, and medications and conditions that affect your hair and body.
Hair Loss: Alopecia, Thinning Hair in Men and WomenLearn about hair loss (alopecia) in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments like shampoos and drugs, as well as how to prevent hair loss.
Hair Loss QuizTrue or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair. Learn what damages hair and what doesn't. Take the quiz!
How Common Is Hair Tourniquet?Hair tourniquet syndrome is a rare medical disorder in which part of the body such as a finger, toe or penis gets wrapped in hair very tightly. This is most common in babies if the parents, siblings or caretakers have long hair. Because a lot of hair tourniquets are resolved at home, they are probably underreported.
How Do You Treat Extremely Dry Hair?Dull, frizzy and unmanageable hair haunts most of our hair care dreams. When hair is stripped of its moisture and becomes dry, it’s also more vulnerable to tangling, breakage and hair loss. You can apply oil, conditioner and hair serum to treat dry hair. Ditching heat styling helps dry hair. So does eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated.
Is Auburn Hair Natural?Red hair varies from deep burgundy to bright copper, auburn, reddish-orange, burnt orange and strawberry blond. Auburn or red hair can be natural.
Is It Safe to Bleach Already Bleached Hair?Oxidized melanin loses its color, making the hair look lighter. Bleaching significantly damages your hair. Whether you should rebleach your bleached hair depends on the health of your hair before and after bleaching.
19 Health Problems in Men: Snoring, Hair Loss, and MoreWhat are the biggest body health issues that plague men? Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, hair loss, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get tips on dealing with male body problems and the prevention of common issues in men's health.
Surprising Reasons Your Hair Is Falling OutSeeing clumps of hair in your brush every time you groom your tresses? Find out what might be behind your locks loss.
Is It Better to Take Vitamins in the Morning or Night?Doctors recommend multivitamins for certain vitamin deficiencies. If you're taking a vitamin supplement for any type of vitamin deficiency, you should try to take it at a time when your body can best absorb it.
What Are the Four Types of Hair?Hair type and texture are determined by several factors including genetics. There are four main types of hair texture: Type 1 - straight, Type 2 - wavy, Type 3 - curly and Type 4 - tightly curled.
What Vitamins Should Not Be Taken Together?Some vitamins that should not be taken together, or have dosage limitations, include vitamin C with vitamin B-12, vitamin A supplement with vitamin A-rich foods, folic acid (vitamin B9) and vitamin B12, and vitamin E with vitamin K.
Why Has My Hair Suddenly Changed Texture?Many different things can change the texture of your hair. It can be your age or any health conditions like menopause, and cancer that you can start noticing some changes in your hair.