Numerous studies have been conducted on face yoga or face exercises to improve the signs of aging over the face and neck area. These studies have been conducted on small sample sizes and need further investigation. However, many women who participated in these studies did report lessened facial sagging and fine lines.
The positive result of facial and jawline exercises depends on
- Proper position and posture during exercises.
- At least 30 dedicated minutes of facial exercises.
- Proper nutrition and reduced alcohol and smoking.
- Reduced stress.
The jawline is the lower contour of the bone at the base of a person’s skull, a bony structure extending from the chin to ears. The jawbone can develop into all kinds of angles and sizes and determines the shape of the face. When the bone has a prominent angle visible below the ear, it is called a strong jawline. A strong jawline has a more angular and symmetrical look. The size and shape of the jaw depend on factors, including health, orthodontic development and age. Teeth grinding disorders, such as Bruxism, can lead to an overdevelopment of lower facial muscles and makes the jawline larger. The jawline can also appear larger because of older age due to the sagging of skin behind the ears. Increased sodium intake has also been shown to play a part in defining the size of the jawline.
The jawline has always played an integral part in defining a person’s features. Exercising the muscles of the face will make the jawbone more prominent and enhances the cheekbones, giving a defined, toned look. Since the facial muscles are very small, they respond to workouts quickly. So, facial workouts along with a clean diet, a good skincare regimen and a full-body workout routine are extremely beneficial for attaining a strong, chiseled jawline. Jawline exercises can help give the face a more defined or younger look. They can also prevent pain in the neck, head and jaw. They may help reduce the effects of temporomandibular disorders or chronic pain in the jaw muscles, bones and nerves. However, it can take time to see results. The results may not be drastic, and it is important to be consistent with the exercise. They may also not work for everyone and a person may seek medical attention if required.
Some exercises to be performed that targets the muscles of the jawline include
- Tongue press
- Method: Place the tongue on the roof of the mouth, right behind the teeth. Then add tension by tightly pressing the tongue to completely close the roof of the mouth and begin making the noises “mh mh mh mh.” It is very important to make the humming/vibrating sound when performing these exercises because they assist the muscles.
- Muscles worked: Targets sag underneath the chin.
- Duration: 3 sets of 10, rest and then another 3 sets of 10.
- Jawbone restorer
- Method: Place both thumbs side-by-side at the tip of the chin with other fingers resting below each ear. Then, push the chin into the thumbs to create resistance, and slide the thumbs along the jawbone, with medium pressure, ending just below each ear.
- Muscles worked: The jawline area.
- Duration: 10 times.
- Vowel exercises
- Method: Open the mouth and purse the lips together without touching or showing the teeth, then say “oo ee” in exaggerated movements.
- Muscles worked: Targets the muscles around the mouth, on the sides of the lips and between the nose and upper lip.
- Duration: 3 sets of 10.
- Sagging chin
- Method: Place the elbow on a table with the fist under the chin. Then try opening the mouth while exerting force with the wrist to create resistance. Hold and then release.
- Muscles worked: Underneath the chin and jawline area.
- Duration: 3 sets of 10.
- Neck curl-up
- Method: Lay down on the back and press the tongue to the roof of the mouth. Bring the chin to the chest, lifting the head about 2 to 3 inch off the ground. Then, slowly lower the head back down and repeat.
- Muscles worked: Neck muscles.
- Duration: 15 times.
- Smiling has a long list of benefits for the muscles in the face. It makes the skin and muscles look better and tighter. Smiling is a great exercise because it is psychologically tied in with the experience of being happy, so it can also improve mood.
- Muscles worked: Cheek and jaw muscles.
- Duration: Several times.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
McCahon J. Achieve a Toned Jawline With Facial Exercises. LiveStrong. http://www.livestrong.com/article/248911-facial-exercises-for-the-jaw-line/
WebMD. Best Exercises for a Defined Jawline. https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/best-exercises-defined-jawline#1
Top Do Jawline Exercises Work? Related Articles
Anti-Aging SkincareSome of the most important tricks in the fight against aging come down to the basics. Learn how washing and moisturizing your skin and other skin care can help you age more gracefully.
How Can I Make My Face Glow Naturally? 15 Skincare TipsEach of us secretly desires a glowing face. It is not surprising that the market is flooded with cosmetics claiming to make your skin glow. Healthy and glowing skin is not an overnight effect but a result of daily persistent efforts.
How Do I Lose Face Fat and Jawline?Losing weight in a specific area can be challenging. According to the experts, spot reduction of facial fat is not possible. You need to focus on the overall weight loss rather than targeting a specific area. Making certain lifestyle changes can help you lose weight and achieve a slender face.
How Do I Start a Skincare Routine?To start a skin routine, it is essential to know the type of your skin. It is also necessary to know what suits your skin the best. Based on these, one can formulate a good skincare routine. Include plenty of fresh fruits, complex carbs (muesli, oats, millets), and nuts in your diet for healthy skin.
How Do You Fix Lockjaw?The treatment of lockjaw depends on several factors, such as the severity of the condition, how long the condition has persisted, and the underlying cause.
What Is the Best Time of Day to Exercise?Exercise is one of the best things you can do to boost the health of your body and mind. The best time of day to exercise is whenever is best for you.