Get rid of hard skin on your feet
The foot is often the most neglected part of the body. We often do not look twice at our feet, which is the most significant weight-bearing part of our body. People are often quite casual and negligent in choosing the right products for their feet. Careless choice of shoes can put a lot of load on your feet making them dry and cracked. Foot care demands special attention because the skin on the feet is different from the skin anywhere else on the body. The skin on your feet is devoid of the oil-producing glands called the sebaceous glands. The absence of oil glands and the fact that the temperature regulation and blood supply to the feet can be most easily compromised than the rest of the body makes them more vulnerable to problems, such as dryness, swelling, soreness, and cracking of the skin. If you are habituated to walking barefoot or wearing open footwear, such as flip-flops and open sandals, the risk of dry and cracked feet further increases. When ignored, cracked heels and soles can become very stubborn and may invite infections as well. Foot care is, thus, particularly important for everyone, especially for people who have diabetes. A small crack or cut on the skin on the feet in people with diabetes can lead to a serious infection. Factors such as inadequate moisturization of the feet, usage of harsh soaps, and effects of aging can produce areas of dry and hard skin on your feet. To get rid of the hard skin and get soft and supple feet, you can try the following tips:
- Scrub the feet well: Regularly scrubbing the feet helps remove the dead and hard skin that often gets collected and causes dry and cracked soles. You may use a loofa or a pumice stone to scrub the feet with soap and water. Scrubbing helps in removing the dirt from your feet and makes them clean and smooth.
- Moisturize your feet intensively: The skin on the feet is quite thick and devoid of oil glands. Thus, intensive moisturization is important for the feet. You can apply a good amount of coconut oil, body butter, or foot cream to your feet and massage well to let it get absorbed. Massaging will also increase blood flow to the feet, making them heal faster. Be mindful of the fact that massaging will make the soles slippery and may invite falls. Therefore, avoid walking around when your feet are slick with oils or creams.
- Try a homemade foot mask: You can make a foot mask at home by mixing three teaspoons of aloe vera gel, one teaspoonful of olive oil, and a pinch of turmeric in a bowl. Apply it to your feet by gently massaging, leave it overnight, and gently scrub your feet in the morning.
- Use over the counter (OTC) ointments: OTC ointments containing salicylic acid can be applied over the hard skin on the feet. Use the ointment carefully as per label instructions. You can also mix some petroleum jelly with coconut oil and apply it to your feet overnight to soften the skin on your feet.
- Try Epsom salt soak and scrub at home: Epsom salt acts as an excellent exfoliant for the feet besides having infection-fighting properties. Add half a cup of Epsom salt to warm water in a tub or bucket. Soak your feet in the water for about 15-20 minutes. Scrub your feet well and soak again in the water for 5-10 minutes. Do this every alternate day for a week to get smooth and soft feet. You can apply a moisturizer or foot cream after drying your feet.
- Choose your footwear wisely: Wear comfortable footwear according to your lifestyle and weather. Comfortable footwear can protect your feet from hardened skin areas or callus and other foot issues. Using socks while sleeping may also help lock in the moisture.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
WebMD. Tips for Healthy Feet. https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/healthy-feet-tips#1
Top How Do You Get Rid of Hard Skin on Your Feet Fast? Related Articles
Early Signs of Arthritis in the FeetThere are more than 30 joints in the ankle and feet. Arthritis can affect one or multiple joints in the feet. Excess weight, hereditary tendencies, old injuries, and poor footwear are a few predisposing factors of arthritis.
Ecoza (econazole nitrate)Ecoza (econazole nitrate) topical foam is indicated for the treatment of interdigital tinea pedis (athlete's foot) caused by Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, and Epidermophyton floccosum in patients 12 years of age and older. Ecoza is for topical use only. Drug interactions include Warfarin.
Feet Facts QuizDid you know that certain shoes and common diseases can wreak havoc on your feet? If you've been having problems with your feet, this quiz is for you.
How Can I Get Rid of Calluses?What can you do to get rid of calluses?
Kalbitor (ecallantide) InjectionKalbitor (ecallantide) is a prescription medicine used to treat sudden attacks of hereditary angioedema (HAE) in people 12 years of age and older. Kalbitor is not a cure for HAE. It is not known if Kalbitor is safe and effective in children under 12 years of age. Serious side effects include anaphylaxis or serious allergic reactions.
Palmoplantar Pustulosis on Feet PicturePalmoplantar pustulosis, also referred to as pustular psoriasis of the soles of the feet. See a picture of Palmoplantar Pustulosis on Feet and learn more about the health topic.
What Causes Swollen Feet and Swollen Ankles?Swollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy, injuries, diseases, infections, lymphedema, or blood clots.
What Can I Use for Dry Cracked Feet?The skin of your feet does not have oil-producing glands, called sebaceous glands. Because of this and because they carry your bodyweight, your feet are more vulnerable to problems such as dryness and cracking of the skin. Treat dry cracked feet with moisturizer, scrubs, ointment, Epsom salt, staying hydrated and other measures.
What Happens if a Corn Is Left Untreated?What is a corn on your foot, and what happens if it’s left untreated?
What Is the Best Product for Sweaty Feet?Having extremely sweaty feet is called plantar hyperhidrosis, and it can be very inconvenient. The feet may get soggy causing slippers to slip off. Other times, it may ruin the person’s shoes. People with sweaty feet may always experience cold feet because their feet are always wet. They also leave damp footprints while walking barefoot.
Worst Shoes SlideshowStilettos, platforms or flip-flops...which are the worst shoes for your feet? See how some of the hottest styles can be torture on your feet, learn how damage and foot pain can occur, and discover how to stop foot pain.